Covid-19 Update: How You Can Help RMHC Families
As we navigate the uncertainty of COVID-19, Ronald McDonald House Charities in Omaha is committed to providing a safe and supportive environment where families with hospitalized children can heal together. Since March 2020, we have made significant changes to our operations to ensure the health and safety of our volunteers, employees and, of course, the critically ill children and their families that count on us. We continue to monitor the facts and information with great concern, following CDC guidelines and remaining in close contact with our global RMHC team to ensure a proactive and unified response. Please continue reading for an update on how we are serving families and how you can help us continue to provide essential services during this time.
Ronald McDonald House Charities in Omaha
Our Ronald McDonald House is open and we continue to keep families together. We are working closely with our hospital partners to ensure a safe and sanitary environment that protects the health of families, employees, volunteers, visitors, and others to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our community and beyond. Since July, we’ve brought more families back into our House and currently are at 50% capacity. We will remain at that capacity at this stage, as COVID-19 cases are on the rise in Nebraska.
We have made the decision to suspend all volunteerism in the House (excluding the front desk position) until further notice. However, we have creatively adapted our Meals That Heal opportunities. While we continue to service families with critically ill, high-risk, hospitalized children there are three ways to help:
- Sponsoring a curbside Meal That Heal: collect funds to send individually packaged meals to families catered from area restaurants. Contact Laurie Cope at email@example.com or 402-346-9377 for more information.
- Collect and mail restaurant gift cards: Options such as Blackstone Meatball, Mama’s Pizza, McDonalds, and Jimmy Johns are just a few of the many options. We highly encourage supporting local businesses.
- Ship individually packaged shelf-stable items: individually packaged granola bars, easy mac, ramen noodles, fruit snacks and more help to nourish families on the go. You can easily shop online with our Amazon Wishlist.
How You Can Help
- Make a financial gift: We will use these donations to help families who are staying in our House. It costs $120 to host a family overnight. Please consider gifting a family the ability to stay for a night, a week or a month. Make a Gift Today
- Sponsor a curbside meal: collect funds to send individually packaged meals, gift cards or shelf-stable items to guest families. Contact Laurie Cope at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-346-9377 for more information
- Give a gift for later: Creating a legacy gift is a powerful way to support families forever, without paying anything today. We have a free online tool to help you write a will, protect what matters most, and support our work forever in 25 minutes or less.
- Send our families your love: Please, keep them in your thoughts. Can you imagine? Already the scariest thing has happened – you need to be at a Ronald McDonald House because your baby was born early, your toddler has cancer, your teenager needs a transplant … and now you have to navigate it during a pandemic?
For them, we persevere. We are only here because of your goodwill, and we’ll continue to do this work because of your love for the families we serve.
While we do not yet know how long these changes will remain in effect, we will continue to evaluate the impact of the situation on our organization, as the health and safety of our families, employees and volunteers remains our top priority.
As a reminder, the most up-to-date information about COVID-19 is available from the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.
We are incredibly grateful for your support which will help families focus on what’s most important: their children.
The team at RMHC in Omaha